Friday, September 25, 2009

The 21st Century PR Agent

"PR pros specializing in healthcare, politics, and finance can no longer rely on a simple relationship-based model for successful media placements. Facing the realities representative of a new administration, the shifting media landscape, and a down economy, they must reevaluate their messages, key contacts, and outreach tactics....'In years past, you'd just hire a lobbyist,' he says. 'Now, (we need) ... a public relations strategy to reach key Washington outlets such as Politico and The Hill. (We) know that members of the (political) staff read these publications.'... Alternative outlets, such as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, late-night TV programs, and Facebook, also reach this audience."

 I found this while reading on LexisNexis & it really made me think for a minute about what I would do as a PR Agent for a Congressman. The face of PR is rapidly changing due to growing technology. PR MUST be a two-way communication network in order for it to be successful.
If I were currently working as a PR Agent for one of the Democratic candidates running for mayor in Cache Valley, one of the things I would do to create publicity would be to start a facebook group. In this group, I would outline the overall beliefs & goals of the politician & what the politician is promising the citizens of Logan & the surrounding cities.
Next, I would publish in the Utah Statesman as well as the Herald Journal a story about the politician: where he/she is from, what they are willing to do as a possible leader of the county. If the citizens got to know the politician on a more personal level they are more willing to respond to his/her attempts to gain publicity.
Finally, I would create a budget entailing where all of the campaign donations were going so that the candidate can know exactly where his/her money is going. I would spend the majority of the money on giving out flyers, booklets, and planning fun events for the citizens to attend.
While I'm not currently a PR agent or political consultant, this is my dream after college. By closely following the political processes here in Logan I am hoping to gain some experience for after I graduate so that I can know where & what I want to do as a political consultant in today's technological world.

No comments:

Post a Comment