Sunday, September 2, 2012

my best friend emily.



for those who don't recognize this girl's face, you obviously haven't been reading my blog for very long. :)
seriously though, this is my best friend emily, & this is a sad post.
her father, who is referred to as "papa davis" passed away a couple days ago.
i found out yesterday, & haven't been able to stop thinking about it ever since. mostly, my heart absolutely hurts for her family. at times iw ant to think how unfair it all is, & how i wish i could just make everything go away for them. 
but then i realize he was called on to something better.

let me tell you a bit about the father of emily that i knew: for a couple years, he was basically my second dad. every time they came out, emily insisted that i tag along to their family functions, and they insisted to treat me like i was family. i will NEVER forget the spring semester of my junior year, when i was laid off from my job and completely out of money due to my own horrible spending habits. i couldn't afford school, or even to borrow money for school because i had missed all the deadlines, so i decided to take a semester off.
i woke up one morning to a text from emily, & later, a check in the mail from her parents, for my tuition. i started sobbing & was almost embarrassed at first. why was it their problem that i couldn't afford it? why did they care so much? i quickly realized that it wasn't their "problem," this was just how they are. emily's parents are some of the most selfless people i know. i went to school that semester & got my first 3.8 GPA ever, all because i wanted so badly to make their donation worth it. i will never be able to repay them for that.

i'll also never forget his silly jokes & teasing me for being a "crazy democrat." we would often START to get into heated debates, only to have emily's  mom, lisa, cut us off because she didn't like the contention. then her dad would wink at me, & every time emily & i would leave they would both hug me, & it blew my mind every time how accepting they are...of everyone. i always felt at home with her family. 

now i know he was called on to better things & bigger missions. he was a bishop of his ward in colorado springs, & i remember telling emily ages ago i wish he was my bishop. he has much bigger plans in store & he will watch over emily & their family until they join him someday. i have no doubt in my mind her family is strong enough for this. emily has been through a lot of things, & i have always admired her. she will always, ALWAYS be my greatest friend...it's funny, no matter how much time goes by, we get together & it's like we never miss a beat. my greatest memories are with her & now the best karma i can muster i'm giving to her. your karma, prayers, thoughts, etc, would be appreciated. this family deserves it more than anyone i know.

No comments:

Post a Comment