Tuesday, April 3, 2012

week one...

it's day two of my gluten-free diet, & even though it's only been a little over 24 hours, i've learned some things....
1. EVERYTHING has gluten in it. like....everything. i wanted to give up when i realized no more ranch eggs, or breaded chicken, or BREAD in general. (luke conveniently ate a ranch egg in front of me this morning, & i almost cried.)
2. thank heavens celiac is popular these days, because there are quite a few options as to gluten-free noodles, rice, etc.
3. you have to make every meal. every. single. meal. for someone who doesn't know how to cook anything more than ramen and mac & cheese, this is going to be DIFFICULT. (any suggestions would be appreciated. i've been living off avocados, yogurt, & my mom's rice & yellow sauce...but you can only have that for so long.)
4. there are a LOT of gluten-free recipes. if they all didn't sound so difficult, i'd be relieved. but it's almost stressing me out more.
5. it's pricey... this has been the main reason i haven't tried a gluten-free diet in the past. i'm barely going to be able to afford it with my measly paychecks & bills i already have to pay. 
6. i feel loads better already, which is a relief.


perhaps this whole time it really just is a gluten intolerance! i've been tested for celiac, crohn's, a bum gall bladder, infection & more, but my fingers are crossed that after 5 long years of horribleness, endoscopy's, hyda-scan's, & colonoscopy's, i may have found the answer. yay!
i'll keep y'all posted.

2 comments:

  1. This is quite impressive, I don't think I would be able to do it. I am seriously addicted to bread - I have a problem. My husband would probably love me trying a diet like this just to get me off bread for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha bread is what I will miss the most!! I never realized how much I ate it until now.
    It's not a problem if it's healthy...as far as I'm concerned ;)
    We'll see how it goes. It takes 6 months to a year to get gluten out of your system apparently, so I'm in this for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete