Friday, July 13, 2012

the best news.

it is with a (not so) heavy heart that i put in my TWO WEEKS NOTICE at starbucks yesterday.
i've been a barista on & off since i was 16, & it was starting to get kind of old. i have loved many of the people i've come to know in my 2 years at starbucks, and the 2 years i worked at barnes & noble. but i realized the other day (or a few months ago) that i can't really do it anymore. it's become too frustrating, aggravating, annoying, & otherwise bothersome. my anxiety is so much worse every time i am there. a typical conversation with our "lovely" customers in the drive-thru usually goes as such:

ME: "thanks for choosing your south ogden starbucks, my name is lauren, how are you today?"
CUSTOMER: "TRIPLE NONFAT NO FOAM EXTRA HOT LATTE"
ME: "okay, what size will that be?"
CUSTOMER: "AND A BIRTHDAY CAKE POP!!!!!!!!!!"
ME: "okay, but what size is your drink?"
CUSTOMER: "i don't know, regular."
ME: *cursing in my head* "we have a small, medium, or large size. which size would you like."
CUSTOMER: "no whip cream, okay?"
ME: "okay, lattes don't come with whip. did you decide what size you want?"
CUSTOMER: "regular."
ME: "....okay. anything else?"
*customer pulls through before i can say anything else*



needless to say, i've never doubted the human race more than when I work at starbucks. selfish, horrible, rude, undoubtedly too-rich-for-their-own-good people bark commands at me and roll their eyes at me like i'm an idiot. i realized last week that it was more than due time to put my notice in when i found out my very own store manager has many words to say behind my back...mostly talking crap to anyone who will listen about how i have another job (because, you know, how rude of me to not live off of 8.50 an hour....)


i realized how over starbucks i am when i was talking to an older man while making drinks last week.
HIM: "now make sure that's a dry cappuccino. i'll tell you when to stop making foam. none of you know how to do it right."
ME: *because he seems to know better than me* "Okay, sir. no problem. How are you today?"
HIM: "i'm good. just make my drink."
ME: probably rolled my eyes...just a little bit.
HIM: "The problem with your generation is none of them know the value of hard work. none of you understand what it's like to be on your own - that's good, no more foam, please - all of you have mommy's and daddy's who never spanked you & pay for everything so you can do as you please."
ME: *pouring his drink* "i'm sorry sir, a lot of people my age are that way."
HIM: "Don't apologize, you can't help the way you are. I bet your mom and dad pay for everything you own. I bet your mom and dad think you learn better that way. i bet your mom & dad let you work here part-time, so you feel like they're not helping you."
ME: *fuming, at this point* "Actually, sir, my dad paid for my first year of college but I have been on my own ever since. I have worked at least 2 jobs since I was 20, to not only pay for my bills, but to pay for my college education so I can be something other than a barista for the rest of my life."

HIM: *awkward silence*




So needless to say I am tired of being talked down at. Though that's not the only reason I quit.... 
Fox 13 has offered me a job!!!! After months of on-and-off freelancing, I am finally "in" when it comes to a job that I love!!!!!!!!! HAPPY DANCE!
anyways, enough ranting. I felt like I lost 20 pounds when I told my manager I was leaving. I'm going to Seattle next week, but  needless to say I didn't feel like I owed the Starbucks company much, considering certain experiences I won't post on the Interwebz. Regardless, a better future is in store, though I will never forget the GOOD memories I have of Starbucks:

bowling in park city for our store party.

going on a little bullet bike ride, instead of sweeping the lobby.

my coworker josh, always playing funny jokes on us.

wonderful times at the centerville store.

laura getting fake arrested by our cop regular, officer bryson.

laura is pretty much my favorite coworker of all time.

pride with my favorite south ogdenites.


thanks for the good memories, guys. i mostly loved everyone i worked with. but i am so glad to be starting a new chapter!



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job!!! That sounds like it is going to be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for your new job! I think everyone should work in the service industry some time in their life--it gives you a whole new appreciation for the people who do AND for everything that comes next in your life. You have definitely done your time and learned your lessons there, though, and it is time to move on to bigger, better things. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new job! That's sweeeeet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Fingers crossed it works out... overnights might be ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete