Saturday, December 11, 2010

top 10 albums of 2010.

ohh boy.
2010 was a year of music for me, to say the least.
i found lots of new music, listened to lots of old music, and pretty much rekindled my love for live concerts. i've always loved music, since i was teeny tiny and my favorite songs were "mary jane's last dance" by tom petty and "mandy" by barry manilow [hahaha].
this year music was especially important to me. i went through a lot of hard times this year that i didn't expect i'd ever have to go through. a lot of the time i felt completely alone and that i couldn't trust or rely on anyone. during those times, i turned to my music for comfort, and it made all the difference.

with that said, here are my top 10 albums of 2010 [in no particular order]. some are old, some are new, but all will always remind me of this crazy epic year of my life.
beirut - the flying club cup
beirut is just lovely. and i was able to see them live this summer and it only made my obsession with them grow. this album is probably the most beautiful album i've ever heard. it didn't leave my cd player for at least 3 months.
freelance whales - weathervanes
ah this album reminds me of a lot of different things. but  mostly it reminds me of the endless dance parties aaron and i had in our living room when no one else was home. 

arcade fire - neon bible
even though arcade fire released a new album in 2010 [and it's brilliant], i couldn't get enough of neon bible. this album i have seriously listened to once a day all year. the whole album seems to describe a large chunk of my year coming to terms with my religion, my life, my friendships, etc.
i absolutely love this album.
ra ra riot - the rhumb line
such a great album that i only discovered this year. once i discovered it i couldn't get enough of their song oh la. they are one of my favorites because of the amazing cellist and violinist... seriously makes me wish i had taken cello instead of piano.
we were promised jetpacks - these four walls
yet another awesome band that i had the opportunity to see live in salt lake city last march. i was familiar with a few of their songs before i saw them, but once i went to their live show i couldn't get enough of them. every song on this album is absolutely incredible and reminds me of the time this year that i like to call "the calm before the storm". everything was perfect, and this was the perfect album to be obsessed with at that point in my life.
yeasayer - odd blood
this album was released this year and i spent weeks before practically peeing my pants about it every time it came up. i couldn't wait to hear their new album, and although it is a lot different then their debut album, i absolutely love it. not to mention the song O.N.E. is probably the one song i would use to describe 2010. it fits perfectly.
no you don't move me anymore
and i'm glad that you don't
cuz i can't have you anymore
i thought you should know
you don't move me anymore
and i'm glad that you don't
cuz i can't take it anymore
brandon boyd - the wild trapeze
everyone knows i'm obsessed with incubus; it's no secret. so when i heard brandon boyd was releasing a solo album this year i was practically hysterical. and of course, as always, he more than lived up to my expectations...he exceeded them more than i thought possible.
we're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
cloud cult - feel good ghosts
this album probably inspired me more than any other album i've ever listened to. it's truly one of the best albums of all time, and i'm so glad i discovered this  magnificent band in 2010.
the black keys - brothers
i've always loved this band, and i was really nervous for their new album. but it greatly exceeded my expectations, and is an album that will forever remind me of the good times from this year... random car rides, hanging out with friends, hiking, summer time, etc.
pinback - blue screen life
this album lulled me to sleep for probably 10 months straight. i still haven't stopped listening to it since i got re-obsessed awhile back. it will forever remind me of calming my nerves before finals, falling asleep with a lot on my mind, and just relaxing while doing the dishes in my old house in logan.



albums in 2011 i'm excited for??
the decemberists, amos lee, iron and wine, cut copy, devotchka, death cab for cutie, and maybe even a new incubus record!! could it get any better?!










No comments:

Post a Comment