Friday, December 2, 2011

WINDAGEDDON.

so I really thought I was going to die yesterday. Kid you not!!!!
It all started when I woke up at 5 in the morning to my door being blown wide open. Kitty & I jumped a mile & I managed to force the door closed & lock it. Then I laid in bed until about 7 hearing the craziest wind I had ever heard. I felt like I was going to open my door & think, "We're not in Kansas anymore."
Around 8:30 it started to get even scarier. Since I didn't have class or work I wanted to take a nap but it was impossible with the howling wind threatening to knock my whole house over. Then I heard a huge SNAP!!! So I peaked out the window & this is what I saw:
It doesn't look like much, but that tree stood at about 70-80 feet tall. And one of them snapped about halfway up! My garbage cans were literally lifted OFF the ground & ran into my house, the basketball hoop was carried into the middle of the driveway, & the siding off my landlord's house came off right before my eyes. Then another tree came down on the power line & started sparking... Needless to say at this point I was terrified. 80-90mph winds, and I was pretty sure the spark was going to start a fire. I called Rocky Mountain Power, my landlord, & then I texted Luke who was at work. I was sobbing because I was so scared!! He managed to get off work early & brought me home a bunch of firewood since my power went out. We holed up in my house until probably 4 PM when the winds finally slowed to about 40 mph & it seemed more safe to go scout out the damage.
luke standing next to the tree...he is 6'4 so that should put it in perspective!! it was HUGE.

pulled the couch from my living room into the bedroom so we could sit by the fire :)

this tree fell into our neighbor's garage. sad because they're moving & haven't been able to sell the house! the garage had a lot of damage.

these pine trees were about 15-20 ft high & were all UPROOTED. I was watching out the window as one of them was literally pulled out of the ground & blown on its side. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen!


The tree that fell onto the power line & started sparking. I thought it was gonna catch on fire.

Needless to say it was a very very stressful day. Being cooped up inside while your yard is being torn apart, without power, & on top of that a huge tree is blocking you & your car in preventing you from leaving...I felt so claustrophobic!
Luckily Luke has a car, so he was able to rescue me. We drove around Ogden & saw all the damage...blown over streetlights, signs missing, & almost everywhere was closed. But we did manage to find a Mexican restaurant open which was good because I was starving.

Hope everyone is okay after yesterday's WINDAGEDDON 2011!


No comments:

Post a Comment