Thursday, February 9, 2012

brooke bell - web designer.

guys, meet BROOKE BELL, an SLC area web designer/developer who basically rocks at what she does. she's my age, already graduated & using her degree on a daily basis... talk about giving me some good motivation to finish school! brooke is amazing, & here's some of her thoughts about web design, & how she got there! hope you enjoy
xoxo


My name is Brooke Bell and I just graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in New Media Communications, with a minor in Arts Technology, and I am a web designer and developer. I currently work for Overstock.com in their marketing department. I design campaigns, emails, print ads, as well as code emails and landing pages. I also do freelance work in my spare time, and I am currently working on a nonprofit organization’s website, Create More Art Inc. based out of Portland, Oregon.
                I am somewhat of an anomaly amongst web designers and web developers, where I can do both coding as well as design. Most people in my field are either a straight designer or a straight developer. I have found this give me a leg-up, but can also be frustrating when applying for positions. I don’t want to give up either skillset, but there aren’t many positions where I can do both.
                Before Overstock, I was completing my degree while working for a media company, PoleVault Media. PoleVault was started by two of my fellow classmates, one a Masters’ student and the other following in my same degree path. They started PoleVault Media to give other students opportunities with real clients, and learning things the University of Utah was unable to provide in a classroom setting. We developed websites, print-work, logo and branding packages, and shot and edited film. I worked on such projects as I built and helped design from the ground up, the University of Utah’s Fine Arts website,  I designed and developed 8 websites for a Stem Cell research company, had my hands on Kathy Smith a Beach Body fitness guru’s website, amongst many other projects. I have attached a few screenshots, and more are featured on my personal website, www.brooke-bell.com I still keep in close contact with PoleVault and we plan to start an evening class, as well as develop an education tool for others in our field.
                I can honestly say that following my heart and my hobby has provided me with opportunities that I love and I am excited about every day. I am a firm believer in doing what you love, and the money will come. 






No comments:

Post a Comment